For #DVAM2021 we are turning up the heat on our 2020 theme, No Survivor Justice Without Racial Justice. Domestic violence is linked to all forms of violence. To end domestic violence, we must dismantle anti-Blackness, other types of racism, discrimination, & structures that perpetuate oppression. This October and beyond, the Domestic Violence Awareness Project (DVAP) calls on the domestic violence movement to center, celebrate, and follow the leadership of Black survivors, leaders, advocates and frontline workers.
When we work together and each do #1Thing to prevent youth relationship violence and foster healthy relationships and communities, real social change is possible.
#DVAM2021 graphics can be found as part of the #1Thing campaign page.
DVAM 2021 events and activities:
Watch the Facebook broadcast that introduced the DVAM 2021 theme: No Survivor Justice without Racial Justice. Co-hosted by NRCDV and members of the DVAP Advisory group.
Watch the YouTube broadcast of the National Call for Unity 2021: No Survivor Justice without Racial Justice. Speakers included Acting Assistant Secretary Jooyeun Chang, Administration for Children & Families, Rosie Hidalgo, White House Gender Policy Council, Mildred Muhammad, My F.O.C.U.S., LLC, Jacqueline Miller, H.A.I.R., Lina Juarbe i Botella, A Call to Men, and Marci Taitt-Lamar, Leletha Marshall, Farzana Safiullah, Arlene Vassell all from NRCDV. Hosted by Ivonne Ortiz of NRCDV
Sesión Informativa sobre las Políticas y la Labor Investigadora del Centro Para La Vivienda Segura, una iniciativa de NRCDV / NRCDV’s Safe Housing Capacity Center Policy & Research Briefing
12 de octubre
1:00 - 4:00 pm hora del Este / 12:00-3:00 pm hora del Centro / 9:00 am - 12:00 pm hora del Pacífico
Con motivo del Mes para la Concientización sobre la Violencia Doméstica (Domestic Violence Awareness Month en inglés, DVAM según sus siglas en inglés), el Centro Nacional de Recursos contra la Violencia Doméstica organiza su sesión informativa anual sobre las políticas públicas y la labor investigativa.
La sesión informativa de este año, que se celebra en nombre del Consorcio para la Asistencia Técnica en Materia de Violencia Doméstica y Vivienda, gira en torno al objetivo del DVAM: No hay Justicia para las Sobrevivientes si no hay Justicia Racial.
Tuesday, October 12
1:00 - 4:00 pm ET / 12:00-3:00 pm CT/ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm PT
Commemorating Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM), the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence is presenting its annual Policy & Research Briefing. Organized on behalf of the Domestic Violence & Housing Technical Assistance Consortium, this year’s Briefing centers on the DVAM theme: No Survivor Justice Without Racial Justice.
Recordings coming soon
October 14 and 21, 2021 2:00pm ET/1:00pm CT/ 11:00am PT
Black advocates have been tired for a very long time. What would it look like to build a movement that truly supports Black women’s well-being and ability to bring their whole selves to this work? How do Black women sustain each other in this movement? How can we foster true unity for Black and Brown advocates in the face of constant and ongoing disruption? Collective liberation and healing can only happen when Black women are at the center. Join these conversations to listen, learn from, and honor the lived experiences of Black women advocates.
Nnenna Minimah, Southeast Advocates for Family Empowerment
Leona Williams, Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence
DeAnna Swope, BRIDGES
Jacqueline Miller, H.A.I.R.
Kenosha Davenport, Ascending Concepts
Kenyatta C. Grant, West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence
DVAM 2021 Podcast hosted by PreventConnect
This podcast with Arlene Vassell and Casey Keene of NRCDV explores the theme and messaging identified by the Domestic Violence Advisory Project for Domestic Violence Awareness Month 2021, No Survivor Justice Without Racial Justice.
Facebook Live Event hosted by CDC’s Division of Violence Prevention
October 25, 2021 1:30 pm ET
A live conversation between CDC’s Division of Violence Prevention and NRCDV to elevate the voices of LGBTQ populations and the health disparities they experience.
- Awareness Highlight: Turning Up the Heat for DVAM 2021
- VAWnet TAQ of the Month: How can domestic and sexual violence advocates center health equity for Black women in our work?
- Awareness Highlight: Domestic Violence Advocates are Essential Workers
- Universal Prayer: A moment of Silence (video, October 2020) responds to the challenges our communities face at this unique moment in time. This video brings together five advocates as they offer a call for unity and hope.
- HERE and there: An open letter to white women in the movement to end gender-based violence by Arlene Vassell
- #1Thing Action Guide: Inspiring Action Through a Unified Message by the Domestic Violence Awareness Project
- Back to Basics: Partnering with Survivors and Communities to Promote Health Equity at the Intersections of Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence by NSVRC & NRCDV
- Uniting Isolated Voices: Girls & Gender Expansive Youth During COVID-19 by Alliance for Girls
- Racial Equity Tools by Racial Equity Tools
- #Care4Advocates campaign features resources to promote advocates’ well-being during COVID-19 and beyond.